With Windows 8.1 hitting RTM next month everybody has been wondering if and when Windows Phone 8.1 / Blue is going to be announced or simply mentioned. Well, today is not the day. Microsoft has just announced that Windows Phone 8′s support lifecycle has been increased from 18 Months to 36 Month. The good news here is that if you have both a WP8 handset back in November 2012 you will get updates until November 2015.
Microsoft has also announced the release of a Business feature pack slated to be released in the first half of 2014. The feature pack will be just one part of the update’s coming to Windows Phone in the coming months. Redmond is planning to constantly update the OS with bug fixes and new hardware support alongside the feature packs.
The enterprise feature pack will include:
- S/MIME to sign and encrypt email
- Access to corporate resources behind the firewall with app aware, auto-triggered VPN
- Enterprise Wi-Fi support with EAP-TLS
- Enhanced MDM policies to lock down functionality on the phone for more enterprise control, in addition to richer application management such as allowing or denying installation of certain apps
- Certificate management to enroll, update, and revoke certificates for user authentication